Thursday, May 7, 2009

Seagrasses of Chek Jawa

There are many species of seagrasses at Chek Jawa. I was with Teamseagrass last Saturday at Chek Jawa for a field session. And I thought I should also revise with myself on the species of seagrasses that can be found in CJ.


I love this lush patch of Smooth ribbon seagrass (Cymodocea rotundata) beside the boardwalk.


The Fern seagrasses (Halophila spinulosa) are also doing well near the boardwalk.


Even when I walk further north, I could still encounter them thick at the seagrass lagoon.


At the northern Chek Jawa shore, the Sickle seagrass (Thalassia hemprichii) seems to be doing much much better with time.


Another species of seagrass found at Chek Jawa will be this Needle seagrass (Halodule sp.).

There are many other seagrasses species like Tape seagrass (Enhalus acoroides) which is only located at the coral rubble, Beccari's seagrass (Halophila beccarii) and definitely the most abundant Spoon seagrass (Halophila ovalis).

It's good that Teamseagrass is keeping a lookout for the health of these important seagrasses that play multiple roles in the marine ecosystem.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...